What’s the secret to a long and happy life? If I knew the answer I would be a rich man. Every day new research is released telling us what to eat and what not to eat. It’s a minefield because there seems to be so much conflicting information and it changes constantly. Everything in moderation is my take on things. I also believe in cherry juice to stay healthy, although I don’t have any eveidence of that yet !
Researchers have identified common traits of resilient people, and here is the list of things they have come up with. None of the things on the list are to do with the food we eat, it’s all about our mental attitude to life. Here is the list.
1. Adapt to change easily.
2. Feel in control of their lives.
3. Are able to bounce back after difficult times.
4. Have close, dependable relationship.
5. Remain optimistic even in the face of challenges.
6. Can function well under pressure.
7. Have a sense of humour, even under stress.
8. Have a sense of confidence and strength in themselves as individuals.
9. Believe that things happen for a reason.
10. Can handle uncertainty or unpleasant feelings.
11. Know when to turn for help.
12. Like challenges.
13. Enjoy taking the lead.
14. Have hobbies and others activities.
I guess the moral to the story here is to adopt a resilient mindset to live a long and enjoyable life.
Sources: “The common traits come from the article” Are You Resilient?, Readers Digest, August 2009, Page 158, Sari Harrar and Debra Gordon